In An Emergency Adults and Children

If in doubt about any situation that you believe might be an emergency, please dial 999.

Social Care Emergency Duty Team

Not all unexpected major social care problems happen during normal office hours or can wait until the next day. That's why we have an Out of Hours Service staffed by people with a good working knowledge and understanding of health and social care services. The team provides emergency social work support to people in crisis and can deal with:

  • Problems with children and young people
  • Child protection issues
  • Older people who are at risk and need immediate help
  • Concerns about a person with a physical, sensory or learning disability
  • Support in coping with someone who has severe learning difficulties or mental health problems
  • Mental Health Act assessments
  • Act as Appropriate Adult for young people and vulnerable adults
  • Homelessness

What is an emergency?

An emergency is something that cannot safely wait until the next working day.

What happens next?

When you call an operator will answer the phone and take details of why you are phoning. You will then be called back by a qualified Social Worker who will give you help and guidance.

If they think you need to speak to someone else, they will give you another telephone number or contact details. Sometimes they may give your details to another social work team who will contact you on the next working day.

How to get in touch

You can contact the Out of Hours Emergency Duty Team on 01793 436699. They operate:

  • Monday to Thursday from 5pm to 8.45am the following morning
  • From 4.45pm on Friday through to 8.45am the following Monday morning
  • All day (24 hours) on Bank Holidays

At all other times Careline is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries relating to Adult Social Care. You can contact them on 0800 085 6666 from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm Friday.


Child Protection

If you are concerned about a child's welfare or feel that a child is being abused or is at risk of harm



If you have an urgent concern about someone’s health, but don’t feel it is a life-threatening situation, you can do one or more of the following:

  • Call NHS 111
  • Contact your GP for a same day appointment
  • Contact the Urgent GP/Nurse Centre, which is a walk-in centre where no appointment is required. You may also speak to a GP over the phone, who might be able to help you without the need to visit the centre or, alternatively, direct you to another service
  • Go to the Carfax Medical Centre, which has a walk-in service


Mental Health

If you have an urgent mental health concern please



If you are in any doubt about any situation that you believe might be an emergency please dial 999

a worried man on the telephone